Its been one month since this website’s complete remodel from ‘The Simple Things’ to ‘Uncork Your Mind’ and the launch of Project Lifestyle Design. Here’s December’s monthly progress report designed to show you how my journey from professional military officer to lifestyle design entrepreneur is progressing.
This month saw a 17% increase in visits from the previous 30 days. While the visit stats are low they are slowly heading in the right direction. I am happy with the avg time on site and the pages/visit as to me this demonstrates that although the visitor numbers are currently small those that are coming are staying around for a while to check out the content.
- RSS: 9 (6 new: + 300%).
- Twitter: 7 (5 new: + 300%).
- Newsletter: 6 (all new – just started).
- Online Income: $0.
- Google Page Rank: “Lifestyle Design” – 565 (see screen capture below from Market Samurai)
Well its only upwards from here!
Top Traffic Sources
My top traffic is source is coming from my engagement with the Steve Pavlina Forum community. While this takes a bit of effort I enjoy connecting with the people within the forum and it has the side benefit of channeling visitors to Uncork Your Mind. Other than that my main traffic source is from Google with a small amount of visitors coming from backlinks and other websites that I engage in. This table is telling me that I need to get out into the online community more and connect with other like minded people who would value from my content. I intend to do that this month through the posting of some guest posts on related websites.
My most visited page is my home page so this reinforces to me that I need to continue to develop and review it to ensure that it is as high quality and user friendly as possible. Although being one of my earlier posts, my article ‘80/20 Principle: 5 Tips for Workplace Effectiveness‘ still proves to be one of my most popular. I really subscribe to the 80/20 Principle so this may be an indicator that an article on how the 80/20 Principle can be applied to lifestyle design would be popular and useful.
My Current Favorite Websites/Feeds
Here is a list of my favourite websites/feeds that I have been following throughout the month:
- Justin Wright – Life after the Cubicle (Lifestyle Design)
- Steve Scott Site (Lifestyle Design and Personal Development)
- Far Beyond the Stars – Everett Brogue (Minimalist Lifestyle Design)
- Free Pursuits (Lifestyle Design) and Think Traffic (How to build website traffic) – Corbett Barr
- Scott H Young (personal productivity)
- The Art of Non-Conformity – Chris Guillebeau (unconventional strategies for life, work and travel)
- The Blog of Tim Feriss (lifestyle design)
- Chris Brogan (online business and marketing)
- The Launch Coach – Dave Navarro (internet marketing)
- The Blog Tyrant (blogging and internet marketing)
- Copyblogger (online copywriting and marketing)
- Smart Passive Income – Pat Flynn (online passive income and marketing)
- Problogger (blogging and online income)
- Seth Godin’s Blog (online marketing and general words of wisdom!)
- Viper Chill – Glenn Allsopp (viral marketing)
November Goal Review
I may have been a little too ambitious with my November goals list considering that this month required me to commence finalising my job before resigning in December, pack up and move my house 1,200 km to a new location, farewell my family to this new house and move into an apartment for my last couple of weeks of work prior to reuniting with my family in our new location. That being said I’m pretty happy with what I achieved.
This month saw the release of the first Uncork Your Mind monthly newsletter and I was really happy with the content. I will continue to use the newsletter to include different forms of information (ie video clips, video tutorials, personal stories etc) that aren’t published on the website to keep it interesting. If you missed it, sign up to the newsletter on the right and I will send you the November issue.
I also created a ‘Top Posts’ and ‘My Favorite Products’ sidebar widgets which are already getting clicks. After some font and positioning frustrations with my top navigation bar I sorted out this and I think the website looks much better for it. I also set up an editorial calender using Google Calendars and already I am finding this a great tool to discipline me in the planning and writing of posts.
During November I found some other lifestyle design blogs where I want to become part of their community. Most notably was my discovery of Steve Scott’s Lifestyle Design website. Steve’s dedication to his community of readers is amazing. Not only does he post quality content daily but he is also very diligent with his replies to his numerous website comments. He also has a heap of free content and newsletters on offer. Steve has inspired me with his dedication to helping others (including replying to my personal emails) that I am going to attempt to get a guest post published on his website.
During November I read ‘The Artist’s Way’ by Julia Cameron and found it a very interesting on how to unblock and develop your creativity and artistic abilities. I am now going to undertake her methods as a project to improve my own creativity. I will let you know how it goes!
Goals Not Achieved
I decided not to write a post about what lifestyle design looks like as there are plenty of other great posts out there about it. Rather than reinvent the wheel I included a good post by Justin Wright on lifestyle design which got quite a few clicks. I didn’t post my overall plan on becoming a lifestyle design entrepreneur as I wanted to maintain the balance between making this a personal blog and providing useful content for others to use. I will push this back into December’s goals.
I also didn’t get to developing my website footer. This is in desperate need of some attention and I will include this as a goal for December to be looked at in conjunction with a website design re-evaluation. Again in the interests of balancing the website between my personal journey and providing useful and actionable info for others I have decided that an ‘Achievements’ page is no longer something that I want to include.
With my ambitious goal setting for November, I also didn’t get around to writing an EzineArticle on Lifestyle Design. I will definitely push this goal back into December as I am very keen to share my content with as many people who would find it useful. I also didn’t get around to writing a product review on the Thesis WordPress Theme or Corbett Barr’s ‘Affiliate Marketing for Beginners’ online course. I love Thesis and will write a review on it in December but with Corbett Barr’s course I am thinking about starting a project in the new year where I will create and post about building a real affiliate marketing website using Corbett Barr’s teachings. This will allow me to provide a more in-depth review of his course and will let the results speak for themselves.
I didn’t get the chance to find some ebooks relating to lifestyle design although I have accumulated a number of recommendations. I will look to read some of these in the future and provide some reviews. If you have any suggests for good lifestyle design ebooks, post a comment and let me know.
Here is a summary of posts from November:
- My Most Important Post – Project Lifestyle Design.
- Lifestyle Design Progress Report: November 2010.
- Vision Boards: How to Picture Your Lifestyle Design.
- 39 Life Changing Quotes.
- Uncork Your Mind: November Lifestyle Design Newsletter.
The coming weeks are going to be pretty crazy. On 10 December I work my last day as a professional military officer in the Australian Army and leave to be reunited with my family in our new home 1,200km away. Priority number one will be rest, recovery and time with the family. To this end I am going to keep my goals for December a little less ambitious.
- Create a free informational product.
- Write a post on my overall plan to becoming a lifestyle design entrepeneur.
- Post a picture of my finished Vision Board.
- Re-evaluate and edit my website categories.
- Write at least one “how to” lifestyle design post.
- Write an Ezine Article on Lifestyle Design.
- Research and develop a traffic building strategy.
- Write a review for the Thesis WordPress theme.
- Implement the strategies for developing creativity detailed in ‘The Artist’s Way’ by Julia Cameron.
- Find and read a great ebook on Lifestyle Design.
- Write a guest post.
- Find three great websites to recommend to you!
I am really happy with what I achieved during November in light of the hectic pace of life with moving my family and finalising my military career. Although the absolute traffic stats are very low, relatively I saw a significant increase in subscribers over the month since re-launching as Uncork Your Mind. Once I leave the Army on 10 December, my available time will significantly increase so stay tuned for some great content and website developments! Subscribe to my posts and email newsletter on the right to make you don’t miss it.
P.S. Thanks to Think Traffic’s monthly report for giving me some ideas for what to include in my progress report!