The Breeze At Dawn

by Brenton Russell on

As a different type of post today, I thought that I would share a poem with you that I recently read.  Noting that the poem is written by Rumi, a 13th century Persian Sufi mystic and poet, I’m sure that it can be interpreted in many different ways.

On the surface I find it a great inspiration for rising early and progressing towards your personal vision. I can also understand how with deeper reflection and different beliefs, the poem could also take on spiritual significance.

Regardless of individual interpretation and beliefs, I think it is a great poem that can be appreciated on different levels. Its called ‘The Breeze At Dawn’:

The breeze at dawn has secrets to tell you

Don’t go back to sleep

You must ask for what you really want

Don’t go back to sleep

People are going back and forth

Across the doorsill

Where the worlds touch

The door is round and open

Do not go back to sleep.

Rumi

Uncork Your Mind is now a “DoFollow” website.  If you choose to leave a comment you will get a link back to your website.

{ 13 comments… read them below or add one }

Murlu February 10, 2011 at 12:50 am

Wish I heard this just this morning – I woke up, looked at my clock – perfect, I’m on time – and then fell back asleep; now I’m rushing to get everything in motion – turning your mind off on the world prevents you from doing so much (even when it’s just an extra 20 minutes of snooze) – gotta always be aware of what’s going on and more importantly: open to the experience.

Thanks for sharing Brenton
Murlu recently posted..Effective Writing- Unlearn to Learn

Brenton Russell February 10, 2011 at 12:01 pm

The snooze button can be a deadly habit! In the past I have found myself setting my alarm earlier and getting less sleep in order to allow me to hit the snooze button a couple of times. Crazy! The snooze button has been banned for a number of years in our bedroom and I wouldn’t have it any other way now!

Riley Harrison February 10, 2011 at 1:23 am

Hey Brenton,
I love Rumi – a great source for beautiful inspiration. When I’m trying to figure out how to determine my life purpose and what I want to do – this one helps: Everyone has been made for some particular work and the desire for that work has been put in his or her heart. – Rumi

Riley
Riley Harrison recently posted..IT’S MOVING DAY!

Brenton Russell February 10, 2011 at 12:03 pm

Hi Riley,

I have come across Rumi a couple of times but never really explored his writing until now. Thanks for sharing some more of his wise words. I am thinking that I would like to buy a collection of his works. Do you have any suggestions?

Peter J February 10, 2011 at 9:37 am

This is brilliant, I’ve just woken up now and grabbing some breakfast before i head to school – next time i should try not falling to sleep again when i do wake up, i won’t be in such a rush. xD

Brenton Russell February 10, 2011 at 12:13 pm

Hi Peter,

Its a great poem, isn’t it? I really like the way you can find meaning in it at face value or delve in deeper to gain other insights.

I also find it amazing how we so easily and consistently justify short term gains (like hitting the snooze button) at the expense of much more important longer term gains (like our ongoing wellbeing by enjoying a slower morning pace when we don’t go back to sleep).

Steve@Internet Lifestyle February 13, 2011 at 6:16 am

Brenton,

I liked the poem. I think it is important that people are, “awake” to what is going on with life. I think it is to easy todaydream and cruise though life. being awake is not always easy, sometimes it means that bad things happen. But it is also the only time in life you will experience real joy and happiness.
Steve@Internet Lifestyle recently posted..GLP 1 – How to Outsource Ezine Article Creation

Brenton Russell February 13, 2011 at 1:02 pm

Hi Steve,

I often use the term ‘mindfulness’ similarly to how you describe being ‘awake’ above. I have only recently over the last year or so started to become more aware of spiritual concepts and for me one of the first steps is being aware of your awareness. Thanks for your comment, it sounds like you already have an understanding of this!

Darryl Andrews June 2, 2011 at 3:37 am

When I read this poem, I starting to think about the things that are holding me down. I was sitting reading and visualizing how I wanted my day to go. I was in a place of perfect peace and hormony. My visual was broken quickly by my thoughts of my circumstances. I asked myself do you really want to go “Back There” ? Are do you want to move forward. I am greaful of those words of encouragements.

Kylie Rowe November 13, 2011 at 7:30 pm

Hi Brenton!

I love this poem..the title really captured me and it’s just so beautiful. It will inspire me to get out of bed at that magical time of day and do some writing…beautiful words and so true. I love your website,writing & energy – so great to hear your thoughts and journey and get to know you better! Really impressive and interesting..both you and your Blog!

Kylie

Brenton Russell November 17, 2011 at 12:10 pm

Hi Kylie,

Thanks so much for stopping by!

Thanks also for your kind words about my website. Unfortunately I have been neglecting it of late to pursue other areas of my lifestyle design so I am way overdue for a new post. I’m thinking that I owe the blog an update post on where I’m at with my lifestyle design and your kind words are just the inspiration to get me moving!

Rich Landis March 21, 2013 at 12:22 am

Such simple words yet a multitude of interpretations. Just reading this the first time awakened me to three examples in my own life of myself “going back to sleep”. Thank you for presenting such thought provoking prose.

Brenton Russell March 21, 2013 at 6:20 am

Hi Rich,

I’m glad to like it. I really like the line “You must ask for what you really want” and reminds me that the clearer our vision of how we want out lifestyle to be, the more successful we will be in designing and creating it.